Modifying Court Orders For Parenting Time, Child and Spousal Support

“Post decree” means “after a decision has been made or a decree has been issued.” A lot can change after the court has made a decision or the parties have agreed to a settlement or dissolution.

Changes could be related to child support, spousal support (alimony) or to nonperformance of an obligation.

At these times, the court comes back into the picture to adjust the original order because of income changes or status changes.

Post-Decree Modification Due To Relocation

If you are a parent that is bound by a parenting or custodial agreement, it is very important to notify the courts if you plan to move to another address, town, state or country.

You should do this regardless of whether or not you intend to bring your child with you.

Relocating can affect your ability to comply with a prior parenting or custodial agreement. If you cannot comply due to your change in circumstance, you may need to go to court for a post-decree modification.

A Child Custody Lawyer Will Negotiate A New Child Custody Parenting And Visitation Agreement

Reasons for a parent moving can vary. What cannot vary is keeping the child’s best interests close at mind for every decision you make with regard to a new shared parenting agreement or visitation agreement.

The courts will not approve a move away that is contrary to the best interests of the child.

Ideally, parents need to create an amended parenting plan through negotiation or mediation. But, if working together to reach a mutual decision is simply not possible, then I will provide aggressive action in court.

A Family Law Lawyer Can Go To Court To Modify A Court Order Or Enforce A Court Order

Future disagreements typically come up. And depending on this disagreement, it may be necessary to go back to court to update the court that one spouse is not complying with prior court orders.

Depending on the nature of the disagreement, an ex-husband or ex-wife can ask the court to modify a prior court order.

In Cleveland, at The Law Offices of Simon W. Johnson, I am able to help my clients regardless of the reason for returning to court.


Court orders cannot be ignored just because the other party doesn’t agree.

Ohio child support enforcement lawyer Simon W. Johnson is able to assist clients by filing the necessary documents.

Not only are you entitled to what the court decree says but you may also be entitled to compensatory parenting time or child support if the decree hasn’t been followed.

Call the Law Office of Simon W. Johnson and schedule a time to meet with a family law attorney.


As life goes on, it may be necessary to return to court to have a court order modified.

At the Law Offices of Simon W. Johnson, I can help you determine if you are able to modify child support, spousal support (alimony), or parenting orders (custody).

Some of the reasons why a court order can be modified include:

  • Increase or decrease in income

  • A child is over 18 and has graduated from high school

  • One parent is planning to move with the children, whether within or outside of Ohio

  • One parent’s schedule changes making it necessary or helpful to change the parenting time schedule

  • Child’s schedule changes

  • Circumstances change, making the old orders unreasonable or burdensome

Get in Touch


23811 Chagrin Blvd

Suite 227

Beachwood, OH 44122

Assistance Hours

Mon - Fri : 9:00am – 5:00pm

Sat - Sun : CLOSED

Phone Number:


23811 Chagrin Blvd Suite 227, Beachwood, OH 44122, USA

Our Law Office Serves Clients in These Cities




 South Russell


Chagrin Falls 

Gates Mills

Mayfield Heights

Highland Heights 


Pepper Pike 

Moreland Hills 

Orange Village 


Shaker Heights

Cleveland Heights

Copyright 2022 . All rights reserved. Digital Marketing by Compost Marketing Agency.